DECA, a non-profit educational organization headquartered in Reston, Virginia, that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges across the globe, is seeking a Controller.
Required Education and Experience of the Controller:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field.
- At least five years of financial management experience, including supervision of accounting staff preferably in an association or other non-profit environment.
- CPA strongly preferred.
Job Responsibilities of the Controller:
- Coordinate DECA, Inc.’s financial planning and budget management functions.
- Lead the annual budget planning process.
- Oversee organization budget and financial transactions, including payroll, AP/AR, and analyze identify opportunities to achieve greater financial efficiencies and internal control processes.
- Ensure DECA, Inc.’s accounting procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles and proper accounting controls are maintained.
- Prepare monthly journal entries and accounting corrections to ensure accurate accounting records; and reconcile general ledger.
- Prepare various financial reports and statements detailing the status of organization funds including monthly financial statements, cash flow, profit and loss statements and balance sheets.
- Meet with budget managers on a monthly basis to track budget progress and review month-end financials.
- Oversee the annual audit and filing of the organization’s 990 and ensure legal compliance of all financial activities.
- Provide training to budget managers and new employees on using accounting systems as relevant to their role.
- Ensure state tax exempt filings and charitable registrations are kept up-to-date.
- Review and keep up-to-date all finance policies and procedures for DECA.
- Enter payroll into accounting system (Payroll is processed by Justworks).
Desired Skills of the Controller:
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of accounting, finance, budgeting and planning for a not-for-profit.
- Must be a strategic thinker with the ability to conceptualize and act upon DECA’s financial objectives and operationalize these objectives.
- Demonstrate knowledge of laws, procedures, regulations and best practices relating to not-for-profit accounting practices and financial reporting.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining confidentiality and good working relationships, with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple competing priorities.
- Experience with Bill.com and Intacct preferred.
- Excellent computer skills and working knowledge of Office 365 products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Self-starter with excellent follow-through with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Highly ethical.
This position will supervise the Accounting Specialist.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This position will spend the majority of the day working with financial data, answering phones, and fulfilling staff requests; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Work hours may be adjusted with the approval of the direct supervisor.
Exempt, not eligible for overtime for time worked over 40 hours in a week.
DECA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.