DECA, a non-profit educational organization headquartered in Reston, Virginia, that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges across the globe, is seeking a Communications Manager.
The Communications + Marketing Team promotes and protects DECA’s brand by engaging a variety of audiences, including members, nonmembers, advisors, schools, corporate partners, and the public. The team works closely with all other departments as well as external stakeholders to ensure accurate, consistent messaging to support DECA’s mission, build brand awareness, foster new industry connections, empower members and increase DECA’s overall impact. Acting as an in-house agency, DECA’s Communications + Marketing Team develops brand materials, designs marketing collateral, manages websites and social media, creates print and digital publications, and leads public relations efforts.
As a member of the Communications + Marketing Team, the Communications Manager will be responsible for many of DECA Inc.’s internal and external communications efforts. The ideal candidate is energetic and excited to join a collaborative team. A successful applicant will be self-motivated, ready to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines with minimal oversight.
Job Responsibilities of Communications Manager:
- Manage DECA’s 24/7 online news hub, DECADirect.org, including all editing, publishing and sharing of content from outside correspondents, DECA staff and corporate partners.
- Direct and implement DECA’s online social media strategy, managing engagement and analyzing outcomes. Utilize social networking sites to disseminate information, curate content and foster relationships with members and partners.
- Serve as the primary copy editor for the organization, ensuring all written materials remain consistent across departments.
- Oversee DECA’s e-mail marketing campaigns and maintain a database of over 125,000 contacts to distribute weekly email newsletters, as well as specialty conference emails, program announcements and more.
- Manage a blogger outreach program to build an active brand/communications ambassador network.
- Maintain DECA’s website, deca.org, and diligently collaborate with other departments to update content consistently.
- Oversee production of DECA’s quarterly print magazine, DECA Direct, by creating editorial calendars; working with other departments to secure advertisements and content; curating content from corporate partners, members and alumni; assisting the design team in the execution of the theme and vision for each issue.
- Create original content for publication on social media sites, blogs and in print. Identify additional opportunities for innovative and engaging content for social platforms.
- Oversee teams of correspondents during conferences to generate decadirect.org content and promote social media activity using DECA’s hashtags and other conference initiatives.
- Utilize analytics to boost engagement and followers on all digital platforms, and use metrics to measure success, shifting strategy when necessary.
- Work with various departments to create conference mobile apps throughout the year.
- Plan and prepare informational materials to support high school conferences, programs and activities.
- Prepare and execute workshops and presentations to educate DECA members and advisors on new technologies, best practices in social media, and other communication techniques.
- Work in cooperation with senior staff members on a variety of projects.
- Assist DECA’s corporate partners with content creation and distribution to help promote programs, opportunities and brand awareness to DECA’s members.
- Perform other related work as assigned.
Required Qualifications of the Communications Manager:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field.
- Relevant experience and knowledge of communications, marketing and/or public relations techniques.
- Strong interviewing, writing, grammar and editing skills.
- Ability to write clear, impactful and persuasive marketing copy.
- Proficient in Web 2.0 including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, YouTube, WordPress, Vimeo, Pinterest, Google Analytics and Constant Contact in a professional setting with documented examples.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (especially Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead simultaneous projects with accuracy and punctuality.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and productively with employees at all levels across an organization and with the public.
This position has no supervisory requirements.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Periodic travel to conferences and meetings is required.
DECA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.