DECA, a non-profit educational organization headquartered in Reston, Virginia, that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges across the globe, is seeking an Accounting Specialist.
Required Education and Experience of the Accounting Specialist:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field.
- At least two years of accounting experience working with accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and payroll reports.
Job Responsibilities of the Accounting Specialist:
- Provide support to both the Controller and Executive Director in the coordination of DECA, Inc.’s financial and budget management functions.
- Ensure DECA, Inc.’s accounting procedures are followed consistently.
- Assist with the audit preparation.
- Coordinate bank deposits and perform reconciliations of bank accounts on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy.
- Complete tasks related to accounts payable including:
- Create new vendors in accounting system, request W-9 forms and maintain vendor-related documentation;
- Review and enter invoices in accounting system – obtain approvals needed and ensure accuracy of GL account coding;
- Enter and assign invoices in Bill.com;
- Process check run and cut checks weekly;
- Review reimbursement requests for alignment to organizational policy; and
- Complete monthly account reconciliations.
- Complete tasks related to accounts receivable including
- Create and distribute invoices;
- Ensure receivables are collected in a timely manner;
- Process payments received (e.g. creating bank deposits, logging/processing check and credit card payments, updating customer/member records in accounting system, etc.); and
- Make collection calls as needed.
- Provide customer service via phone and email.
Desired Skills of the Accounting Specialist:
- Strong knowledge of general accepted accounting principles.
- Experience with Bill.com and Intacct preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent computer skills and advanced knowledge of Office 365 products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Self-starter with excellent follow-through with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact collaboratively and productively with employees at all levels across the organization and with the public.
- Proficient at data entry with the ability to keep records and files organized.
- Highly ethical with attention to the importance of confidentiality.
This position has no supervisory requirements.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This position will spend the majority of the day working with financial data, answering phones, and fulfilling staff requests; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Work hours may be adjusted with the approval of the direct supervisor.
Non-Exempt, eligible for overtime for time worked over 40 hours in a week.
DECA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.