Our Commitment to Privacy
DECA Inc. is located at 1908 Association Drive, Reston, Virgina in the United States. As a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, DECA’s financial information is available to the public. For more information about DECA, access our website at www.deca.org.
Collection of Personal Information
DECA collects information online, by phone, or by paper in order to identify or contact you (“Personal Information”) to carry out its business purposes. DECA collects this information for a variety of business reasons, including but not limited to, when you provide funding, register for an event or program, provide information to DECA to support DECA’s research and impact, request to subscribe to DECA publications, or otherwise interact with DECA.
The types of Personal Information DECA collects includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- General information (e.g., names, home and business addresses, email addresses, Internet protocol addresses and mobile/landline business/personal telephone numbers, your organization and title and whether you are a member of the press);
- Government-issued identification numbers (e.g., social security numbers, national identification numbers, and tax identification numbers), for example from employees, independent contractors and funding sources;
- Other identification information (e.g., photographs and audio during public performances); and
- Financial information (e.g. bank information, credit card information, billing address).
DECA collects information (whether online, by phone, or by paper) that does not directly identify you (“Non-Personal Information”). The types of Non-Personal Information we collect includes, but is not limited to:
- Site usage (e.g., browsing history, search terms and number of clicks);
- Products and services viewed, including advertisements for such products and services;
- Computer type, operating system, and platform type;
- Internet service provider; and
- Your industry and business (e.g., company name, job title, and whether you are a member of the press).
How DECA Uses Your Information
The following explains how DECA uses your Personal and Non-Personal Information.
- Provide service communications such as program registrations and customer service messages
- Provide products, information, and services
- Respond to your emails or online requests for products, services, or information
- Identify you when you visit our Sites
- Internal research and development purposes
- Provide public funding source information
- Personalize and improve the usability of DECA’s Sites, products and services
- Personalization of content, advertising, marketing, programs and services to you
- Meet internal audit requirements
- Legal obligations
DECA uses Non-Personal Information to improve the usability of the Sites and for other business reasons. We or other third party companies also use the Non-Personal Information to provide advertisements and targeted advertisements to you (ads based on the Non-Personal Information). Please note that, when you select an advertising link or other link that takes you to sites not operated by DECA, you may be subject to the privacy policies of these third-party sites.
Cookies are small files used to send information from our Sites to your web browser. The Sites use session cookies, which are destroyed when a user closes the Internet browser, and permanent cookies, which remain on the user’s hard drive until manually deleted by clearing the cache. Permanent cookies allow users to utilize the “remember me” feature to avoid having to log in to the Sites after closing the previous Internet browser session. Cookies are also used in user analytics, and the user’s personal identity is not tracked. Cookie settings can be controlled in your Internet browser to reject some forms of cookies automatically. If you view the Sites without changing your cookie settings, you are indicating your consent to receive all cookies from DECA’s Sites. If you do not allow cookies, some features and functionality of DECA’s Sites may not operate as expected.
THIRD-PARTY DATA SHARING
We share your Personal Information, sometimes combined with Non-Personal Information, in a variety of ways including, but not limited to:
- Share information with third parties to fulfill service requests and to perform business functions (e.g., DECA contracts with third parties to provide services on our behalf such as hosting services; packaging, mailing and delivering services; customer support and consulting services; and event registration services).
- Share Information with third parties as required by law or to protect DECA in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process served on DECA; (b) protect and defend DECA’s rights or property; or (c) protect the personal safety of DECA personnel or members of the public in appropriate circumstances.
- Share Information with third parties to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you professionally or personally. Users can request their information to be removed from such lists by using the information provided below.
Your email address will be used only by DECA and its agents and vendors performing services or products on DECA’s behalf. DECA shares your email address with third parties to enable DECA to take security measures to help protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of information. DECA shares email addresses with third parties as necessary for DECA to perform certain services on your behalf, such as packaging, mailing and delivering products and processing event registrations and to respond to your service requests. You can manage your email preferences, including “opting out” of email by contacting DECA as set forth below.
DECA reserves the right to use or disclose Personal and Non-Personal Information where we reasonably believe it is needed to (i) respond to information requests by law enforcement or other governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any law, regulation, subpoena or other legal process, or court order; (iii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud activity, or inappropriate, unauthorized, or illegal activity involving DECA’s services or networks; or (iv) enforce or protect DECA’s rights and property. In such circumstances, information may be disclosed without notice to the individual.
Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us. DECA uses standard administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the security, confidentiality, and integrity of your Information. To assist in making the Sites secure, we use safeguards such as firewalls and Secure Socket Layers (SSL), where appropriate. DECA has also put in place precautions to protect information from loss, misuse, and alteration. Only those DECA employees who need access to your information in order to do their job are allowed access. We have also put procedures in place to safeguard any financial information we collect from you. Please note, however, that we cannot guarantee the security of any information you provide online; you provide it at your own risk.
You are ultimately responsible for the security of your DECA login credentials. DECA recommends the following precautions to protect your information:
- Do not share your DECA login credentials with anyone.
- Log out of web browser at the end of each computer session to ensure that others cannot access your Personal Information
INFORMATION CORRECTION AND CHANGES
You have the ability to correct or change certain information in our records, such as your address and contact information. Generally, you may change this information at any time and as often as necessary. If you need assistance or have questions about correcting information, please please contact DECA through one of the following methods:
LOCATION OF INFORMATION AND GOVERNING LAW
DATA RETENTION AND DESTRUCTION
DECA retains information only as long as needed to fulfill the purpose for which the information was collected unless a longer retention period is permitted by law. In some jurisdictions, there are limits on how long we may retain your personal information. We may retain and use your Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Information quickly upon request. If you have any questions about the retention periods for holding your personal information, please contact us.
HOW TO CONTACT DECA
Should you have any questions, comments, requests, or concerns related to this privacy notice, please contact DECA through one of the following methods:
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY
The California Consumer Protection Act (“CCPA”) requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of your Personal Information with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your Personal Information to DECA, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of Personal Information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at one of the following addresses:
Mail: 1908 Association Drive, Reston, Virgina 20191